Five militants killed in intelligence-led raid in restive Balochistan province

Five militants killed in intelligence-led raid in restive Balochistan province

By Staff Reporter

QUETTA: Security forces have killed five militants during an intelligence-based operation in the Killi Suran area of Panjgur district in southwestern Balochistan, officials said on Thursday, the latest action under a wider campaign against armed groups in the mineral-rich but long-troubled province.

Intelligence indicated that a group of militants was moving to carry out an attack when forces intercepted them. Five were killed and several others wounded, according to security officials. A substantial quantity of weapons, ammunition and equipment was recovered at the scene. The dead men were described as having been involved in robbery, extortion, kidnapping for ransom, targeted killings and attacks across Panjgur and neighbouring areas.

The operation formed part of Operation Raddul Fitna 3. Officials said such actions would continue in an effort to dismantle militant networks and restore security. Radio Pakistan, citing security sources, reported that the militants had been travelling on motorcycles and were preparing a major attack when they were targeted with advanced technology and weaponry.

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi praised the forces for thwarting what he called the “nefarious designs” of terrorists linked to groups the state has labelled Fitna-al-Hindustan. In a statement issued by his ministry, he said: “The successful operations of the security forces against enemies of peace in Balochistan are commendable.” He added that the nation stood united against terrorism and in support of the security forces.

The designation Fitna-al-Hindustan is used by Pakistani authorities for Balochistan-based militant organisations and is intended to underline what Islamabad maintains is India’s alleged role in fostering terrorism and instability inside Pakistan. Officials have also repeatedly claimed that Afghanistan provides safe havens for separatist militants.

Thursday’s raid is one of several recent intelligence-based operations in the province. On Tuesday, more than nine militants were killed in separate actions in Ziarat, Harnai and Surab. On Monday, two were killed and three wounded in the Killi Zaik area.

Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest and least developed province, borders Iran and Afghanistan and has endured a protracted separatist insurgency that has intensified in recent years. The region has seen a sharp rise in violence this year, with coordinated assaults on security personnel and infrastructure. On 14 August, as the country marked its 80th Independence Day, Balochistan Home Minister Mir Ziaullah Langove escaped unhurt when two attacks injured 11 people, including six policemen. Unidentified militants earlier bombed a major gas pipeline, cutting supply to several districts.

A monthly assessment by the Pakistan Institute for Conflict and Security Studies, released on 31 July, found that the security situation deteriorated most sharply in Balochistan. The overall death toll in the province rose by 241 per cent, from 109 in June to 372 in July. Deaths among security personnel increased from six to 62, a rise of 933 per cent. Militant fatalities climbed from 75 to 238, while civilian deaths rose 93 per cent from 28 to 54. Eighteen members of peace committees were also killed.

The latest operation comes amid one of the deadliest periods of unrest in the province this year, as authorities step up efforts to contain the insurgency that has long challenged state control in the resource-rich territory.

Copyright © 2021 Independent Pakistan | All rights reserved

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *