Trump praises Sharif, credits self with halting India-Pakistan clash at peace board launch

Trump praises Sharif, credits self with halting India-Pakistan clash at peace board launch

By Staff Reporter

ISLAMABAD: US President Donald Trump praised Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the country’s top military leader during the inaugural meeting of his newly formed Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, crediting himself with averting a full-scale war between Pakistan and India last year.

In a wide-ranging address that touched on global conflicts, Gaza reconstruction and prospects for a deal with Iran, Trump recounted his role in halting the four-day clash between the nuclear-armed neighbors in May 2025, saying he had threatened trade penalties to force a resolution. “Prime Minister Sharif — I like this man — of Pakistan. Because there was some fighting going on when I got to know him and your Field Marshal, great general, great Field Marshal, great guy,” Trump said, referring to Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Asim Munir.

Trump said he had met Sharif, who told him in front of US Chief of Staff Susie Wiles. “You know nobody knows this, but I believe that President Trump saved 25 million lives when he stopped the war between us and India.”

Addressing Sharif directly, Trump added: “You made that statement … it was really a beautiful thing.” Describing the May 2025 conflict, Trump said: “That war was raging, planes were being shot down. And it was Pakistan and India, and I got on the phone with both of them. And I knew them a little bit. I knew Prime Minister Modi very well, actually. I got to know Pakistan through a little trade. They were trying to make too good a deal, and I got a little upset with them.”

He said the trade negotiations led to better relations. “In the end, they got what they wanted, and they made a good deal, and I got to like them — the prime minister, the Field Marshal, who is a tough man, a tough, good fighter, a serious fighter.”

Trump detailed his intervention after learning of the conflict, during which he said “many planes were shot down.” “I called them and said listen, I am not doing trade deals with you two guys if you don’t settle this up. And they said, ‘No, no no!’ That was both of them … And they do a lot of business with the US and they softened up all of a sudden. A little bit of a pullback by one and then the other, and all of a sudden, we worked out a deal,” he said. Trump added that he had warned of a 200 percent tariff if fighting continued: “One of them, I won’t say which one, said ‘No! You can’t do that’. They both wanted to fight, but when it came to losing a lot of money, they said, ‘We don’t want to fight.’” He claimed the issue was resolved “in two to three days,” emphasizing: “That was a very big deal; people have no idea. A lot of them say they weren’t fighting. [But] they were fighting. Eleven jets were shot down, very expensive jets.” Trump said the episode led to “a lot of progress” in relations and called Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi a “great man and a great guy.”

Opening his remarks, Trump called the gathering “a big day,” noting: “Lots of people watching, especially from other countries […] We have a large group of leaders, and the ones who aren’t here are watching on Zoom. I hope they enjoy it.” He described the Board of Peace’s mission: “What we are doing is very simple — peace. It’s called the Board of Peace, and it’s all about — an easy word to say, but a hard word to produce — peace. We are going to produce it. We have been doing a really good job, and some of these leaders that are with us have helped me very much.”

Trump reiterated his claim of settling eight wars, adding: “And I think a ninth [was] to come, but it turned out to be a tougher one. I thought that was going to be the easiest one. But, with war, you never know what’s easy and what’s not so easy. But, we have had a great relationship, and I became friendly with so many of the people.” He called the board “the most important and consequential things I think that I will be involved in,” saying some conflicts had lasted 32, 34 or 37 years but were ended “within about two days, each one of those.”

On Gaza, Trump said the issue was “very complex” and praised US envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner for an “amazing job.” He described the board as “the most consequential board,” adding: “Certainly, in terms of power and in terms of prestige, there has never been anything close because these are the greatest world leaders.” Trump said almost all invited leaders had joined, warning: “Some are playing a little cute. This doesn’t work. You can’t play cute with me.” He added: “They are all joining, most of them immediately. A few of them we don’t want because they are trouble. Take care of them.”

He asserted the board was “the most prestigious ever put together,” surpassing corporate boards, with “virtually everyone who is the head of a country.” Thanking attendees for traveling, Trump said: “We work together to ensure a brighter future for the people of Gaza, the Middle East, and the entire world.” The board includes leaders mostly from Middle Eastern countries and others worldwide, he said, noting their financial contributions: “And they have been generous with money also … And there is nothing more important than peace, and there is nothing less expensive than peace. You know when you go to wars, it costs you a hundred times what it costs to make peace.”

Trump first proposed the Board of Peace last September to end Israel’s war in Gaza, later expanding its scope to other global conflicts. The board includes Israel but no Palestinian representatives, raising concerns it could undermine the United Nations’ role in diplomacy. “We’re going to strengthen the United Nations,” Trump said. “It’s really very important.” Trump announced $7 billion contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund, conditional on Hamas disarming. The U.S. will contribute $10 billion to the Board of Peace, with contributing nations raising $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza. He said FIFA would raise $75 million for soccer projects in Gaza, and the UN $2 billion for humanitarian aid.

In his address, Sharif stressed the need for an end to ceasefire violations in Gaza, saying it was “very important” for long-lasting peace in the war-torn Strip. “The people of Palestine have long endured the illegal occupation and immense suffering. And, to achieve long-lasting peace, it is very important that ceasefire violations must end to preserve life and advance reconstruction efforts,” Sharif said. “The people of Palestine must exercise full control of their land and their future, in line with the UN Security Council resolutions.”

Sharif further said: “We must work together towards a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination through the establishment of an independent, sovereign, and contiguous state of Palestine in line with relevant resolutions.” He expressed hope that under Trump’s “visionary and dynamic leadership, we will ensure a just and lasting resolution to the issue of Palestine.” “Today is a day which will mark a place in the annals of history, that through your efforts, through your untiring support and great efforts, long-lasting peace in Gaza will be achieved. [It will be your legacy] in all times to come,” Sharif said, addressing Trump.

Earlier in his speech, Sharif said while addressing Trump: “May God reward you and make you successful in your efforts to bring lasting peace in Gaza.” “We deeply appreciate your unique initiatives and your dynamic leadership in advancing peaceful solutions to conflicts across the globe. Your bold diplomacy has surely brought calm to many international serious hotspots.” “Your timely and very effective intervention to achieve a ceasefire between India and Pakistan potentially averted the loss of tens of millions of people. You have truly proved to be a man of peace. And let me say you are truly a saviour of South Asia,” Sharif said.

Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in the International Stabilisation Force (ISF) in Gaza, with Morocco contributing troops, ISF chief Major General Jasper Jeffers announced. “I have offered and Indonesia has accepted the position of deputy commander for the ISF,” Jeffers said. Indonesia is ready to send up to 8,000 troops if confirmed. The force aims for 20,000 soldiers and a new police force. Jeffers said Morocco, Albania, Kazakhstan and Kosovo had also agreed to send troops, marking the first Arab commitment. Trump expressed hope force would not be needed to disarm Hamas: “It looks like they’re going to be doing that, but we’ll have to find out.” Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem in Gaza said any international force must “monitor the ceasefire and prevent the (Israeli) occupation from continuing its aggression,” adding disarmament could be discussed without committing.

Copyright © 2021 Independent Pakistan | All rights reserved